Re: No equivalent for ide-scsi available with the new PATA drivers?

Alan Cox wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:36:44 -0400
Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

People with IDE tape drives are complaining there's no ide-scsi
driver available anymore with the new PATA layer. Is anyone
working on one?

It would make no sense. The libata layer is already using the SCSI
midlayer so compliant devices should already appear with the st driver.

We might need some tape detect logic, but I don't have any tape devices
so its up to someone with a tape drive handy to help out...

I have a PATA tape drive here somewhere.
Does anyone out there want it, with the understanding that it be
used to test/improve libata tape support?

One thing about ATAPI tape drives, is that they generally won't "stream"
with the generic SCSI st code.  Instead, many of them will do a *very* sluggish
stop/start stop/start stop/start kind of action when reading/writing bulk
data.  To get them to stream continously requires more driver intelligence,
*especially* when sharing a cable with some other device.

With an appropriate driver, tailored for ATAPI tape drives, they can run
at full speed while sharing a channel with another active ATA/ATAPI device,
both drives in use at the same time.

Cheers
-