Re: libata interface fatal error

Hi Tejun,

Okay, ich8.  I don't think the chipset is at fault here and you have a
lot of disks.  My primary suspect is power supply problem but things
like this are hard to prove.  With the merged speed down fix, libata
will do the right thing after a few errors, so ignoring the problem
wouldn't be a too bad idea.  If you're curious, you can try to connect
drives to different SATA ports and power lanes and see whether errors
follow the disk, port or power lane.

exactly, should be four disks in the machine.

What power supply would you recommend for this type of disks? I think we got a 450W Enermax, IIRC.

What do you mean by "merged speed down fix"? Is your fix for the speed down logic implemented in the current kernel, so I don't have to patch anymore (except when I want to force 1.5Gbps right from the beginning)?

All SATA parts are used, so reconnecting is not an option. But I can try to switch the power supply (lanes).

Thanks for all your kind help, that is much appreciated!
Florian
-