Re: JMicron JMB361 sporadically failing to initialize from at least 2.6.18.4 to 2.6.22-rc2

Everyone, I tried rebuilding 2.6.22-rc2 last night with CONFIG_IDE
disabled, but it still produces the same problem. The relevant config

# CONFIG_IDE is not set
CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_ATA_ACPI=y
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=y

Ethan, you mention that this is a known issue.. I can't find any link
to this problem. This is happening on a cleanly rebuilt kernel, so I'm
not sure if this has to do with Debian 4.0r0 probing the module
incorrectly. I already have the OS installed, and I figured a newer
kernel would have resolved this issue. Unlike the bug report I linked
to, I am not seeing the driver detect JMB363 & JMB361 in the same boot
log. Even when everything works, it only detects a JMB361.

A working boot looks like this:

JMB361: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:04:00.1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.1[B] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 58
JMB361: chipset revision 2
JMB361: 100% native mode on irq 58
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0xa000-0xa007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
   ide1: BM-DMA at 0xa008-0xa00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

No use of acpi=off, noapic, nolapic seems to affect the JMB361 from
being detected properly or not.

Any next steps? Ethan, do you have more information about this
particular issue with the DQ6 motherboard?

Thanks -Andrew

On 5/21/07, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone know what is causing this and if it is fixed in any dev
> branch? I've tried the stock Debian etch netinst 2.6.18.4 kernel, as
> well as my own build of 2.6.21.1 and 2.6.22-rc2 and they all exhibit
> the same problem.
>
> Let me know what I can do to help debug this on my end.

What configuration options have you got selected - in particular if you
have the libata support for SATA enabled then the kernel configures the
hardware to expose the AHCI interface for SATA and the PATA interface
separately. This requires you to be using the libata drivers for both the
SATA and PATA components of the hardware if you wish to use both.

-

-