Re: Serial ATA (SATA) shutdown info

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 12:46 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
>
>>> I'll keep an eye on the thread you linked to, if we don't even need to
>>> write any zeros, we're definitely happy people :-)
>> Me happy too.  :-)
>>
> Out of interest, do you know there is a hysterical need to sync() before
> one calls reboot()?
>
> I would have thought the kernel takes care of making sure it's own data
> structures are flushed to disk anyway, but I can't see the reference in
> the kernel code for where it might do this.

I dunno.  I seem to recall there was discussion about disk driver not
flushing cache or something like that years ago but I could be imagining
things.  With recent kernels, there's no reason for userland to do that
before shutting down.  Kernel always flushes caches during shutdown, but
we can also afford some paranoia there as that doesn't cause any harm.

--
tejun
-