Re: Slow perfs with IDE SSD

Tejun Heo wrote:
François-Julien Marbaud wrote:
Hi !

I'm doing an internship in a research lab, and we are trying to use a P.ATA SSD
in order to speed-up a genome computation software.

We got a performance problem, expecially with access time : access time is about 800us, and according to the manufacturer it should be about 40us. The bandwith
is OK.

The SSD is a 2.5' flash hard drive, the slave of the first IDE channel.

We wonder if that could be the because P.ATA driver is not really done for small access times, so we got such a poor time. In that case, I guess we would have to have a closer look at the driver ...

First of all, try noop elevator.

  echo noop > /sys/block/hdx/queue/scheduler

Depending on your workload, adjusting plugging delay/threshold parameters might help. These are initialized in the kernel source file block/ll_rw_blk.c::blk_queue_make_request(). q->unplug_thresh and q->unplug_delay.

And one more thing, if a 67MB~4GB SDD drive speeds up the computation, something is wrong. 4GB main memory will be much better than 4GB SDD for such purposes.

--
tejun
-