Jeff Garzik wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
ATA_MSG_ERR
ATA_MSG_WARN
ATA_MSG_INFO
-------------> all above are enabled by default
ATA_MSG_DEBUG
ATA_MSG_VDEBUG

The current ATA_MSG_xxx were best-guesses, and only now, when the conversion patches begin to be merged, do we see how well those guesses match with reality.

I do agree that the above list matches the current code, but the ATA_MSG_xxx and Becker schemes are aimed more at verbosity+severity levels, than strictly severity levels.

Yeap, agreed.

My point is that as we need selective message enabling, let's do it by first implementing 1:1 mapping and think about message types later. As we already have ata_*_printk() wrappers, embedding ata_msg_*() and converting KERN_* to ATA_MSG_* should be enough.

<thinking aloud>  For libata, the best mapping might be

0: critical problems (errors)
1: non-critical, recovered problems or "troubling circumstances" (warnings)
2: terse info from exceptional events (probe, hotplug)
3: more verbose info about exceptional events (IDENTIFY hex values as shown today, sector count, features)
4: terse command-submit tracing
5: terse command-complete tracing
6: verbose hot path
7: function ENTER/EXIT tracing

Thus illustrating the general goals of (a) enabling fine-grained tracing of specific portions of libata, (b) ordering messages in order of severity, and (c) ordering messages by likelihood of producing tons of log spam.

Generally agreed. I don't think your and my ideas are that different. Mine looks like..

ATA_MSG_ERR
ATA_MSG_WARNING
ATA_MSG_INFO	/* I think intial config msg should be in this cat */
(ATA_MSG_VINFO maybe) /* revalidation messages, EH progress... */
-- debug below here
ATA_MSG_DEBUG
ATA_MSG_VDEBUG
ATA_MSG_CMD	/* issue / completion */
ATA_MSG_SG	/* SG map/unmap handling */
ATA_MGS_TRACE	/* function enter/exit */

Eventually we can use blktool to turn on terse command-complete tracing for a single SATA port, and not have to suffer the current log spam and coarseness that results from using today's #defines.

Yeah, we really need that. I currently use /dev/hda as my root when I need to turn on those debug messages. :-P

--
tejun
-