Re: [crosspost] dropping support for ia64

On Fri, 12 May 2023 at 20:50, Jesse Dougherty <Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm a little bias because my company is a re-sellers of the HP Itanium
> ia64 hardware (RX & ZX boxes), as well as PA-RISC. For that reason, I
> would hate to see it fade away in any sector. The ia64 platform is still
> widely used with HP-UX Unix and Open VMS users worldwide. This hardware
> is embedded in most every data center and large and medium companies
> that have been around since the 80s/90s, its probably the oldest box
> they have in there but its the one thats in the corner running for 20
> years, long before most people started working there. PA-RICS is also
> massively intertwined into the US military as well as foreign
> military's, they did that in the early 2000's and they are stuck with it..
>
> I could go on but me as a hardware guy, I'm on team ia64 :-)

Thanks for the data point. Gwtting your angle as someone who supports
actual users is rather useful.

So how many of your customers would be adversely impacted by the lack
of an upgrade path to, say, Linux kernels beyond v6.3 or GRUB versions
beyond today's 2.06?