Re: Kernel compiled with gcc-4.6+ fails to boot on ia64

Am Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:32:13 +0000
schrieb "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > Please assist me in acquiring more information, as there currently
> > is no output at all on the serial console I am attached to (via the
> > management console, which is set up in EFI as the default console,
> > which appears in Linux as ttyS3). Usually I get output right from
> > the start, so I assume that the problem must be very early in the
> > boot process.
>
> Did you try the ia64 early console options.  See
> Documentation/ia64/serial.txt ... boot argument you need to add on a
> rx2600 will look something like this:
>
> console=uart,mmio,0xff5e0000
>
> but the hex number will be whatever you need for ttyS3 (run "dmesg |
> grep tty" on your kernel that does boot to find the right value).

I just tried that and there is still no output. I have
 append="rd.lvm.lv=maroon/usr console=uart,mmio,0xf8050000"
in elilo.conf (and confirmed that it got installed that way in
\EFI\gentoo\elilo.conf). In a test with 3.12.7-gentoo compiled with
gcc-4.5.4, I could see the commandline being seen this way by the
kernel. The same version, cleaned, rebuilt with gcc-4.7.3, does not
output anything at all and reboots after a few seconds.

--Dennis