Re: Soft Lockups on 2.6.28-rc8 under netperf bulk receive workload

Divy Le Ray wrote:
Can you please reconfigure your kernel with the following kernel hacking
options enabled, and run your tests again?

Kernel hacking
	Kernel debugging
		Detect soft lockups
	RT mutex debugging
	Spinlock and rw-lock debugging: basic checks
	Mutex debugging: basic checks

Got the above

	Lock debugging: detect incorrect freeing of live locks
	Lock debugging: prove locking correctness

I don't see those two above in a make menuconfig

	Spinlock debugging: sleep-inside-spinlock checking
	Compile the kernel with debug info

Got those above.

	Compile the kernel with frame pointers

That doesn't appear in make menuconfig in kernel hacking either.

I built a kernel with those I could find enabled, and I think it invoked the spirit of Heisenberg - no more soft lockups appearing on the console. I think it has also _significantly_ dropped the throughput.

I've since learned how to tell caliper one doesn't care about the per-process stuff and just lump it all together. The cycles and cgprof profiles for the debug run can be found under the same URL as before:

ftp://ftp.netperf.org/lockup

with what I hope are obvious names.

rick jones