Re: [git pull] ia64 change (include/asm-ia64 -> arch/ia64/include/asm)

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a minor nit that I can't figure out.  Following a build, a
> git-status shows untracked files of:
>
> # Untracked files:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
> #
> #       arch/ia64/kernel/vmlinux.lds
> #       include/asm-ia64/
>
> I posted a change for the vmlinux.lds (or maybe it was just a question),

I think I remember that ... but I can't find it in the e-mail
archives. vmlinux.lds
needs to be added to .gitignore

> but I am not sure what to do with include/asm-ia64/.  It contains two
> files that are generated:
> asm-offsets.h  nr-irqs.h
>
> I get the feeling we should be generating those into
> arch/ia64/include/asm, but I am not certain.

Sam said in reply to a similar question:

 asm-offsets.h is a generated file and I wanted to avoid adding
 generated files to arch/$ARCH/include.

 It was also a less intrusive patch to keep it at the old location.
 But I recall that it troubles me a bit before I got it
 correct but the kbuild changes all take care of this.

So this is currently correct ... but it sounds like it may change if
someone comes up with a better idea for where generated header
files should go.

-Tony