Re: Tiger oops in ia64_sal_physical_id_info (was [RFC] regression:113134fcbca83619be4c68d0ca66db6093777b5d)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 03:45:40PM -0700, Alex Chiang wrote:
> I looked through some SAL specs, and it turns out that
> SAL_PHYSICAL_ID_INFO was introduced in v3.2, but this tiger
> implements v3.1.
>
> SAL *should* be returning -1 for unimplemented calls, but
> something is going fantastically wrong here. Bjorn pointed out
> that both r2 and b6 contain the IP. Maybe SAL isn't computing
> branches correctly or something?
>
> So what to do to work around a broken SAL? Seems like a chicken
> and egg problem to me -- the only way to try and check if a call
> is implemented or not is to call it, and calling it hangs the
> machine... :(

While you can check to see what SAL revision is supported, do be wary
of some prototype HP SAL implementations which report numbers in the
60-90 range.  It's probably safe to say 'if sal revision < 3.2 answer =
-1', but we were burned with extended PCI config space many moons ago
when we said 'if sal > 3.1 use new method'.

a retrograde step."
-