Re: [patch] Fix large MCA bootmem allocation

Robin Holt wrote:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:50:11PM +0900, Hidetoshi Seto wrote:
Hidetoshi Seto wrote:
Then, I suppose we need a CPU_UP_PREPARE callback to allocate memory
before hot-added CPU enters cpu_init().
Ah, we cannot allocate bootmem later, so it would be better to make
the callback to return NOTIFY_BAD if (!__per_cpu_mca[hcpu]).

bootmem is only used for the first cpu.  The other cpus use regular
allocations.  So we should be able to do a CPU_UP_PREPARE.

OK, it's my suggestion.

Comparing the severity of allocating a ton of extra memory with the
chance that we fail on an allocation and given that there are likely
other things in the cpu_init path which are not checked, do you see the
lack of check as a show-stopper for this patch or would you accept this
patch with the plan being fixup the cpu_init path later?

Which other stuff in the cpu_init path would cause a panic on hot-added CPU?
The per-cpu pages are ready for NR_CPUS. ia64_setreg(), ia64_set_kr() and
kin would be work properly...

I'm afraid that for hot-added CPU there might be nothing dangerous than
this allocation in the path.
That's why I want to hire a CPU_UP_PREPARE at least for this allocation.

Thanks,
H.Seto

-