RE: git pull on ia64 linux tree

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Luck, Tony wrote:

> Should I update my script that makes the "Please pull" message.

It should be added automatically to the diffstat if you create the
diffstat with

	git diff -C --stat --summary linus...release

(that triple dot creates the diff from the last common point - the
so-called merge-base - and it generally does the right thing unless you've
merged things from me)

> Right now it just uses "git whatchanged release ^linus | git-shortlog"
> which doesn't mention any mode changes ... thus your understandable
> confusion about whether I had meant to make this change.
>
> What git command would neatly summarize any mode changes?  Or would
> I have to roll my own from the whatchanged output?

I thought you already generated the diffstat with "git diff --stat", and
if so, just adding "--summary" should do it.

That does a list of what files changed modes, and what files were created,
deleted, moved or copied. So for the commit in question, we
get

	[torvalds@woody linux]$ git show -C --stat --summary ff08e657f3e7224d090dd816e00cea2c110575c4

	commit ff08e657f3e7224d090dd816e00cea2c110575c4
	Author: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	Date:   Fri Dec 7 14:42:08 2007 -0800

	    [IA64] don't assume that unwcheck.py is executable

	    Don't assume that this file has execute permissions.  For example, patch(1)
	    loses that information.

	    Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	    Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>

	 arch/ia64/Makefile            |    2 +-
	 mode change 100755 => 100644 arch/ia64/scripts/unwcheck.py

but it works with the other diff generation tools too (ie doing
something like "git log -C --stat --summary" will do the obvious thing)

		Linus
-