Re: [Fastboot] IA64 Kdump patch V3

Zou, Nanhai wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Lan [mailto:jlan@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 2006年8月30日 9:27
To: Zou, Nanhai
Cc: Linux-IA64; fastboot; Luck, Tony; Dave Anderson; Eric W. Biederman; Horms
Subject: Re: [Fastboot] IA64 Kdump patch V3

Jay Lan wrote:

Hi Nanhai,

There is a problem in sn2. The sn2 does not have any memory with
a predictible offset. It is not possible to specify a memory location
at boot.

I modified the efi_initialize_iomem_resources() routine in
arch/ia64/kernel/efi.c to calculate crashk_res.start and .end on the
fly and uses the "A" of crashkernel=A@B as size to find a region
that fits.

Maybe we should separate A and B as two options?

The "B" part of the crashkernel boot option is meaningless to sn2
machine and can be very confusing to sn2 users.

 Hi, Jay
	It is possible to have only A option and let kernel determine the B address at startup time. Horms has patch to do that, I will merge it.

That would be great!

I now have memory reserved, but kernal hanged when executing 'kexec'
command. There must be similar issues in kexec.

On further debugging, the kexec dumped core instead at this statement:
+        elf_rel_set_symbol(&info->rhdr, "__boot_param_base",
+                        &boot_param_base, sizeof(long));

of elf_ia64_load() in kexec/arch/ia64/kexec-elf-ia64.c.

Examing the memory i found "__boot_param_base" indeed not present in
the symbol table.

It seems that purgatory/arch/ia64/entry.S does not have a line
+DECLARE_DATAB(____boot_param_base).
Is it not needed in other ia64 machines? How does it work in HP
machines?

  There is a DECLARE_DATA8(__boot_param_base) in purgatory/arch/ia64/entry.S
  Are you using kexec-tools-kdump10 patch?

Yes, i apply the kexec-tools-kdump10 patch and the "reserve efi memmap
and boot param" patch from you. Only these two. Did i miss any?

Thanks,
 - jay

Thanks
 Zou Nan hai