Re: Increase default nodes shift to 10

Hmmm... I thought this would only describe the size of the bit
field in the page flags. But it sseem that this also determines
MAX_NUMNODES which sizes several kernel arrays amoung them the per node
arrays of the slab allocator. So this change would lead to more memory
use. However, without this change generic kernel configurations will not
work on all IA64 machines.

Also why is this set to 8 if we just have 64 processors by default?

This means the default configuration would be 256 nodes but only 64
processors?

Could we set these limits consitently to the largest IA64 configuration to
make sure that a generic IA64 kernel is able to run on all machines?

For that

ZONES_SHIFT needs to be 10

and

NR_CPUS needs to be 1024.