Re: [5/5] move_pages: 32bit support (i386,x86_64 and ia64)

"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 2. There is a whole range of syscalls missing for ia64 that I basically
> >   interpolated from elsewhere.
>
> I've been thinking of dropping CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT completely from ia64.
> I've heard no complaints that new syscalls are not being added to the
> ia32 compat side ... which is an indication that people are not
> actively using this.  Some OSDs have been building with this
> turned off for a while now (perhaps in preparation for "Montecito"
> which no longer has h/w support for the x86 instruction set, or
> perhaps because it represnts a huge block of lightly/barely tested
> code that will have its share of support issues).
>
> I suppose I should do this by adding an entry to
>  Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt

I don't think people actively look in there.  You'd also need to do
something like mark it CONFIG_BROKEN, which will wake people up and might
make them go look to see what happened.  Updating the now-BROKEN help text
would make that nice and easy for them.

> Any thoughts on the timeline for this?  Is Dec 31, 2006 too soon?
> (or not soon enough!?).

You'd know better than we..
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ia64" in