Re: Protect PGD...PTE walking in ivt.S

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Zoltan Menyhart wrote:

> Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Zoltan Menyhart wrote:
> >
> > > - it scales well
> >
> > mmap_sem is the major performance bottleneck for page faults at this time
> > because it creates a bouncing cacheline. Figure out a way to avoid that to
> > increase performance.
>
> Have you got some numbers?
> Can I have a copy of your test program, please?

Test program is available from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/christoph/ptl/pft.c. See the
discussion of my page fault scalability patches on lkml in 2004/2005.

> > The walking of pgd/pud/pmd can happen anytime through the mmu on many
> > architectures. It is therefore not protectable by any lock.
>
> I do not know much about the other architectures.

They are relevant since they determine core linux functionality.

> If PGD...PTE walking does not need protection / cannot be protected on
> other architectures, then it is not a strong argument about the ia64's
> behavior.

Of course. This means that the core kernel was designed in such a way to
cope with this issue.

> We were talking about this issue in the thread "accessed/dirty bit
> handler tuning". I thought we had agreed that this PGD...PTE walking
> is unsafe.

I did?

> Locking _is_ a logically correct solution.
> Any other suggestion?

Drop the non issue.

> > free_pgtables() is run when all processes in a mm_struct have terminated or
> > when all vmas from an area have been removed.
> >
> > There can be no one using the page tables.
>
> Please refer to "unmap_region()".

Only run after the vmas have been removed. Any fault will lead to an
access error.
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ia64" in