RE: [RFC] - Kernel text replication on IA64

Luck, Tony wrote on Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:41 AM
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:53:16AM -0500, Jack Steiner wrote:
> > Enabling replication reserves 1 additional DTLB entry for kernel code.
> > This reduces the number of DTLB entries that is available for user code.
> > There is the potential that this could impact some applications.
> > Additional measurements are still needed.
>
> Ken's recent patch to free up the DTLB that is currently used for per-cpu
> data would mitigate this (though I'm sure he'll be unamused if I blow the
> 1.6% gain he saw on his transaction processing benchmark on this :-)

How much benefit is there to have readonly section replicated?  Do you really
have to use two DTRs - one to map the readonly and one to map rw?

What about just replicate text so we don't need to burn an extra DTR?

- Ken
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ia64" in