Re: show_mem() for ia64 discontig takes a really long time on large systems.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:36:40PM -0400, Bob Picco wrote:
> Looks great and will work for VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP.  It's too bad SPARSEMEM
> can't be used because this probably wouldn't be an issue.
>
> I think this will break SPARSEMEM. Perhaps it's time to create a new
> module with VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP specific code in it. Say like vmemmap.c.
> Lots of code in init.c and this new code could reside in this new
> module. Just a thought.  You'll need a compile time optimized out feature for
> SPARSEMEM but for VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP a function call could be called.

Bob,

I forgot to address this concern.  I do nothing with SPARSEMEM and am
not really sure where to dive in.  What ia64 boxes use SPARSEMEM?
If I simply skip the doing anything to i in the SPARSEMEM case, would
that be sufficient?  Essentially:

                       else {
#ifdef CONFIG_SPARSEMEM
                                i = find_next_valid_pfn_for_pgdat(pgdat, i) - 1;
#endif
                                continue;
                        }

Only done with the function definition above.

Thanks,
Robin
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ia64" in