User userspace access to I2C device acquired by kernel driver

Hi,
Suppose that I have an I2C device (CPLD MAX10 with custom
configuration) that implements the following functionalities:
- GPIO Expander && Interrupt controller
- Watchdog

Suppose that I want to create a Kernel driver that will handle GPIO
Expander and Interrupt controller parts whereas the watchdog
functionality will be handled in Userspace using /sys/class/i2c-dev

Correct me if I'm wrong - but if the kernel driver claims that it
handles the communication with a particular device, does it
automatically prevent userspace programs from communicating with this
device using i2c-dev? So splitting responsibilities between kernel and
userspace which both handle the same physical device will not work,
yes?
For me it makes sense because accessing the device that is already
used by a kernel, from userspace might be unexpected by the kernel,
however, I haven't found any solid confirmation (it may be my poor
research though)

Best regards
Patryk