In power saving mode i2c_nvidia_gpu modules affect power consumption a lot

Hi all,

We encountered an issue that while switching to power saving mode(use
iGPU), the power consumption goes up to 40 Watt, and after removed
i2c_nvidia_gpu, it becomes 5 Watt.

I've tried to check the driver to see if it can tell it's under power
saving mode and found that the first time you call
gpu_i2c_check_status(), it got 0 from readl(), and the second and the
following readl(), it returns 0xe0000000. It looks like an error code
combined with I2C_MST_CNTL_STATUS_NO_ACK and
I2C_MST_CNTL_STATUS_TIMEOUT.

Moreover, i2c_nvidia_gpu module seems depends on intel_lpss driver
since it provides i2c interface. So if we can to use the above
behavior to check its status, the system have to load intel_lpss
first. But currently, it seems not possible to load modules in our
order.

So, I'm wondering if we have other method to check and not load
i2c_nvidia_gpu module or if it's possible to check why loading
i2c_nvidia_gpu affects power consumption a lot.

Thanks.

Best regards,
AceLan Kao.