Re: Problems with decode-dimms

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 4:28 AM Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, decode-dimms doesn't know about XMP. I'm not even sure if the data
> is inside the SPD EEPROM or somewhere else. So decode-dimms will only
> report the standard speeds your memory modules are capable of, not the
> overclocked / non-standard speeds.

I was just looking into this, and found that the Wikipedia SPD page
talks about the XMP data here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect#Extreme_Memory_Profile_(XMP)
The wiki article references [20] this URL:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120306230940/http://www.softnology.biz/pdf/IntelXMP_Rev1.1.pdf

I guess this information is specific to DDR3, because my DDR4 shows
nothing around bytes 176+ (0xB0)
*However* it looks like the data is just shifted down into 0x180
instead.  The data here begins with the "Intel Extreme Memory Profile
Identification String": 0C4A, same as the Rev 1.1 PDF describes.  I
haven't checked through the rest of the data to see how much it
matches, but it seems like it may be feasible to report XMP info.
>From what I've understand, XMP 2.0 was defined for DDR4, but I haven't
had any luck finding a public spec sheet for that online.

-Hans