Re: iTCO_wdt on Intel NUC

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 10:02:56AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I think you are contacting the wrong people and list. The iTCO_wdt
> driver is a watchdog driver and as such it is handled by the watchdog
> subsystem maintainers (Wim Van Sebroeck and Guenter Roeck). You better
> write to them and their list (linux-watchdog@vger).

Hello and yes, I just came from there as we could not work it out :)

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-watchdog/msg16232.html

> The fact that iTCO_wdt loads when you load i2c-i801 is just a side
> effect of an implementation detail (i2c-i801 instantiates the watchdog
> device in certain cases, then module alias magic gets the needed driver
> loaded automatically). If you only care about SMBus and not watchdog,
> you can ignore the error message completely.
>
> If you care about the watchdog feature, you should check what is
> conflicting with iTCO_wdt. Error -16 is -EBUSY which suggests that
> another driver has already grabbed the memory range. This should be
> visible in /proc/iomem.
>
> If it was grabbed by ACPI, you may need an ACPI driver for your
> watchdog (if anything like that exists). If it was grabbed by another
> non-ACPI driver, both drivers may have to be modified to synchronize
> their access to the hardware.

The only conflict we could find is that loading i2c-i801 creates this
entry in /proc/iomem:

  00c5fffc-00c5ffff : iTCO_wdt

and loading iTCO_wdt after that produces the -16 error.

does not create /dev/watchdog. If i2c-i801 is loaded after that the
same -16 error appears.

I don't think any other watchdog module is running because /dev/watchdog
does not exist, but I can send a lsmod output.

So the main question at the moment is why loading just i2c-i801 produces
an iTCO_wdt entry in /proc/iomem? Could it be that both i2c-i801 and
iTCO_wdt are trying to register the same region?

--
Valentin