Re: I2C boot issue with RPI3B

Hi Sergey,

[add Noralf and drop the Broadcom guys from CC since this specific to
the RPi]

Am 07.12.18 um 14:36 schrieb Sergey Suloev:
> Greetings,
>
> I am dealing with a custom hardware based on RPI3B running kernel 4.19
> (or 4.20).
> My device has 2 slaves on I2C  bus: codec WM8731 (on address 0x1a) and
> clock generator si5351a (on 0x60).
>
> It has been a lot of time for me fighting with an I2C issue which does
> not allow the two I2C devices work correctly together: I2C bus hangs
> up at kernel boot.
Could you give some kernel message or some measurements of the I2C line
states?
> The issue happens in 50-70% boot cases and the fail percentage
> noticeably depends on  the bus clock set in DTS: the more frequency
> set the less fail percentage.
I assume you don't use the downstream cpufreq driver, which could
generate interferences on the clock.
> The kernel itself loads successfully, I can ssh to the RPI in order to
> issue "i2cdetect -y 0" and make sure that I2C bus is locked completely
> and not responding.

AFAIK this I2C0 is shared with the VideoCore. Did you already tried I2C1
which should be exclusive for the ARM core(s)?

Stefan