Test for broadcasts from SMBUS/I2C devices?

I have read https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/i2c/dev-interface

I'm working on an application that uses SMBUS to query a battery fuel
gauge, the TI bq20z95, from an SBC running Linux. Normally the SBC will
periodically poll the chip, and I think I understand how to make that
work.  (I'm using the Gobot framework.)

However, the bq20z95 also sometimes issues alarms.  When this happens
it claims bus master status and broadcasts a message.

My question is how these asynchronous transmissions can be detectible
from the SBC without being confused with responses to its normal
device polling.

More specifically, is there a way to write a non-blocking test for
whether there is a broadcast message pending on I2C/SMBUS?  And
what would the correct API call for reading such a message be?

Please be forgiving if I'm misunderstanding the theory here, I'm
new to working with these interconnect methods.

What is a magician but a practicing theorist?
	-- Obi-Wan Kenobi, 'Return of the Jedi'