Re: i2c-mux adapter names not unique

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Peter Rosin <peda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And why not fix the bad assumption in OpenSwitch instead and kill the
> generic problem for every kind of adapter? Limiting yourself to a
> band-aid for i2c-mux adapters seems short-sighted and not very helpful
> for the next victim of this OpenSwitch problem...
>
> Note that you do not need two muxing levels to get duplicate names like
> this, it's enough with two parallel multiplexers on the root adapter. Or,
> of course, two AT91 adapters (or similar, i.e. with a fixed name).

If I thought that OpenSwitch's expectation of Linux to name unique
adapters uniquely, I would push for a change in OpenSwitch.

I personally think Linux's naming convention is a short-sighted and
insufficient which is why I came to Linux first.

I don't want a short-sighted band-aid which is why I asked the
original question.

I'll try elsewhere for a solution...

Regards, Mike