Re: Introducing a kernel driver for the DS28E17 Onewire to I2C master bridge; Feature request: introduce I2C_FUNC_STOP

Hi,

> It's available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/ianka/w1_ds28e17

You need to send patches to get anything reviewed.

> I've already sent a mail to Evgeniy Polyakov, maintainer of the W1
> subsystem and Wolfram Sang, maintainer of the I2C subsystem but got no
> reply. Maybe due to holiday season.

For my case, I am just extremly busy. Have a look for the pending
patches for I2C here:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-i2c/list/

Please also note, that a maintainer is not the only reviewer for a
subsystem, the whole list is. You can try there to get people attracted
to your patch. If you count on me, expect a delay of weeks.

> I also have a question/feature request for the i2c subsystem. The
> DS28E17 can support I2C_M_STOP, which allows to combine write/read into
> a single transaction for slaves which need the intermediate stop
> condition – as the DS7505 from the evaluation board. Using I2C_M_STOP

It cannot do repeated start?

> instead of splitting the transaction into two would save some overhead
> on the Onewire bus (8 bytes at 15kBaud == 4ms, of busy-looping when
> Onewire is bitbanged.)

> What's the right way to handle this on the I2C driver side? Could we
> have a I2C_FUNC_STOP as we have a I2C_FUNC_NOSTART?

We can factor it out like I2C_FUNC_NOSTART when it is proven that it
really is needed.

Thanks,

   Wolfram