Re: Py-smbus for Python 3

Hi all,

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:24:20 +0100, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:12:15AM +0100, Michael Mercier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a project that use the py-smbus module. The problem is
> > I am using python 3.x and the py-smbus library is not compatible with
> > this version.
> >
> > I found a lot of hack to do so, like:
> > http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22348
> > http://procrastinative.ninja/2014/07/21/smbus-for-python34-on-raspberry/
> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.i2c/11290
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-i2c/msg08427.html
> >
> > I eventually manage to make it work but this code only working with
> > python 3.
> >
> > I like distribute it but I do not know where. Is there someone that can
> > merge this upstream properly (with python2 compatibility)?
> >
> > I can also put it on github to make it available so any interested people could improve it?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Adding Jean to the list, he is the current maintainer of i2c-tools.

Indeed there have been many people doing the same, unfortunately nobody
ever posted a patch which would preserve compatibility with python 2. I
don't know a thing about python but I can't imagine that this is not
possible.

Unfortunately, as long as nobody contributes a patch which makes
py-smbus work for both python version 2 and version 3, I can't apply
it. I don't think it makes sense to break compatibility with one
version to make the other one work.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support