Re: Haswell systems & i801 i2c driver

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 20:30:39 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > If this is on a shipping BIOS, we might need to figure out some way to
> > handle it.  I don't remember anything in the ACPI spec that talks
> > about issues like this, but maybe we should add something in PCI that
> > notices if there's an ACPI device with the same resources and marks
> > the PCI device to keep us from moving it or assigning a driver (maybe
> > the warning you're seeing already handles the driver part?)
>
> This is, sadly, pretty typical. SMBus devices are often exposed via PCI
> even though they're accessed directly via AML. The current behaviour
> seems about as good as it gets - we warn the user that this could cause
> problems, and they can pass a kernel parameter that allows them to do it
> anyway.

The proper way to handle it at the BIOS level is to expose the SMBus to
the OS by implementing the ACPI SMBus CMI as supported by the i2c-scmi
driver. Unfortunately most BIOS do not bother implementing that
interface, effectively locking the OS out of the SMBus controller and
everything behind it. This has been a major pain for years :(

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support