Re: I2C adapters protocol deviation

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 07:18:25PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/06/2014 05:37 PM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 04:01:52PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Thanks for the input this sounds good, I guess we'll give this a shot
> >> when we get around to coding up support for the p2wi block in the A31.
> >
> > On a second thought, maybe more granularity is better. Like using
> > I2C_M_DROP_ADDRESS and I2C_M_ADD_PARITY and then make
> > I2C_CLIENT_PUSHPULL involve I2C_M_DROP_ADDRESS | I2C_M_ADD_PARITY.
>
> Hmm, I'm not completely sold on the whole idea of having special
> flags, esp. since it seems that ie the AXP221 may operate in normal
> i2c mode in some designs too. So ideally we would just hide from
> clients that this is something else then plain i2c. So that we can have
> an axp221 driver which is not even aware about this weird i2c-variant and
> will just work independent on how the axp221 is hooked up.

I don't think we actually saw in real life an AXP221 connected only
using i2c. I'd say we shouldn't worry too much about a theorical
corner case that we never saw, until we actually see it.

> Likewise it would be useful to have the i2cdump utility just work, etc.

I'm not sure I want the i2c-tools to start poking around the PMIC.

> So maybe a flag which is a hint that this is special on the controller,
> but I don't think we should be checking for special flags in the messages
> on the controller side. Basically the whole p2wi allows reading / writing
> byte registers, so I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_BYTE is a 1:1 mapping of the functionality,
> as for the address, we can just check it is the one address used to do
> the initial setup, and if it is not then just return an error.

Yes, we obviously have to check for the address in the xfer function.

> >> The datasheet we've suggests that it actually influences the one slave
> >> attached. Note that u-boot on this machines will likely already have made
> >> the switch, but I guess we don't want to count on that.
> >
> > Can we detect if this switching was already made?
>
> I don't think we can. But I think doing the switch a second time is ok /
> does not result in an error.

And it will probably mangle the PMIC configuration. I'm not very
comfortable with that..

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons