platform_data in i2c device drivers

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the i2c_pca954x i2c bus mux driver in linux-stable. My goal is to have the slave buses show up in Linux with static bus numbers. Ideally, I want to define the first bus number to use in the dtb.

It seems, the driver has already some support for static bus numbers as its probe function checks for the existence of a struct pca954x_platform_data instance in client->dev.platform_data and pca954x_platform_mode struct it points to has a member adap_id that seems to be doing exactly that judging by its documentation. However, calls made to pca954x_probe always have to platform_data pointer being passed in through client set to null.

In addition to that, the recent addition to the driver of a reset gpio to be configured reads directly from the dtb in the probe function.

I am unsure about how to set this up properly. On one hand, platform_data is being passed in to the probe function, which seem to indicate, there may be some generic place in the i2c core code to set driver-specific configuration, on the other hand, the recent reset gpio addition to the driver seems to indicate that the driver's probe function is in fact the right place to read additional configuration from the dtb.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank