Re: Can't read DIMM SPD info (DDR2)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:09:45 +0200, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Michal,
Second preliminary note: as far as I know, memtest86 reads SPD
information using a BIOS call, while decode-dimms gets the information
over the SMBus, assuming that SPD EEPROMs are connected to the SMBus
and reachable at run time. This difference in access methods can
explain why memtest86 can see information and decode-dimms not on the
same system.

Is there a way to do the BIOS call method in Linux? If it's a sort-of
standard way to access SPD info, would it be the one used by CPU-Z to read
the SPD info on Windows? (which does work on this HW)

First thing to check is if the SMBus on your system is properly found
and supported:

# modprobe i2c-dev
# i2cdetect -l

On an Intel system you should see an entry like:

i2c-8	smbus     	SMBus I801 adapter at 0400      	SMBus adapter

Nope. On 'buntu 10.10, I only got 5 entries (didn't write them down), none