Re: Status of multiplexed i2c support

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:29:38AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> Sorry for the late answer, I am just returning from vacation.

Hi Jean,

I figured that much...

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:29:22 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > what is the current status of i2c mux support, specifically support for pca945x ?
>
> (Assuming this is a typo and you really meant pca954x.)

obviously ..

> Support is ready for public consumption and will be merged upstream
> very soon now (i.e. before 2.6.36-rc1.) The PCA954x family will be the
> first supported one, support will be merged together with core
> multiplexing support.

Yes, I found your updated patchset a couple of hours after I sent my e-mail.
Since then, I backported the code to 2.6.32 (which is what we are currently
using here).

> Note that I don't take much credit for this, all the hard work was done
> by Rodolfo Giometti and Michael Lawnick (Cc'd), which were additionally
> kind enough to patiently wait for someone (that is me) to review their
> work.

Excellent job, by everyone involved. I think this is a prime example
of how to introduce new functionality into the kernel.

Guenter