Re: removing set_clientdata(NULL)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:09:56 +0200, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> > Sorry for being a little quiet, I took a long, well-deserved week-end
> > off and didn't have the time to reply before I left. Now I'm back...
>
> No worries, no rush :)
>
> > Yes, my intent was to add a call to i2c_set_clientdata(x, NULL) in
> > i2c_device_remove(). We would do this immediately, so that drivers can
> > start removing the call on their end quickly (and new ones are not
> > added.)
> >
> > Can you please send the patch for i2c-core and Documentation/i2c? It's
> > not difficult but I don't want to steal your credits.
>
> Yes, can do this in a few hours (already midnight here), this is for 2.6.34
> then.
>
> > It would also be fair to warn all the developers you already contacted
> > with your first attempt and let them know that it is being cancelled,
> > and let them know the new plan. Hopefully this will avoid useless
> > commits.
>
> Can do this, too. About the removal of the i2c_set_clientdata-calls:
>
> - shall I prepare a series for that, too?

Not sure what you mean there... What's the alternative?

> - also for 2.6.34?

No, 2.6.35. This touches too many drivers for 2.6.34 at this point in
time.

> - also patches per subsystem?

Not sure if it's worth the effort.

> - shall this better go via the i2c-tree?

This seems simpler, yes. I don't think subsystem or driver maintainers
need to be bothered with what is really only a cleanup.

--
Jean Delvare