i2c bus driver for serial-to-i2c

Hi,

I tinkered a rs232-to-i2c interface (schema at http://www.umnicom.de/Elektronik/Schaltungssammlung/I2C-Bus/I2cToRs232/I2cRs232.html ).

I'm now looking for a corresponding bus driver, to run the device with the i2c driver framework. So far I couldn't find any serial-to-i2c linux drivers which are compatible in the i2c kernel module architecture. I'm willing to write (or adapt a driver) for this purpose.

But before I jump into my first driver adventure, let me ask you some question about that:

Has anyone of you written a serial-to-i2c driver?

If nobody did it before, does that means: it's a stupid idea to bitbang i2c over the serial interface.

Does someone know a USB based interface which does only contain standard (no microprocessor as usb-tiny-i2 needs) components?

Thanks for your answers.

greez

maurus