Re: Drivers: hv: vmbus: One function call less in create_gpadl_header() after error detection

>> The kfree() function was called in two cases by
>> the create_gpadl_header() function during error handling
>> even if the passed variable contained a null pointer.
>> This issue was detected by using the Coccinelle software.
>>
>> Thus use another label.
>
> Interestingly, there's a third case in this function where
> "goto nomem" is done, and in this case, msgbody is NULL.
> Does Coccinelle not complain about that case as well?
>
> As I'm sure you know, the code is correct as is, because kfree()
> checks for a NULL argument.  So this is really an exercise in
> making Coccinelle happy.  To me, the additional label is
> incremental complexity for someone to deal with when
> reading the code at some time in the future.  So I'd vote for
> leaving the code as is.  But it's not a big deal either way.  I
> can see you've been cleaning up a lot of Coccinelle-reported
> issues across the kernel, most of which result in code
> simplifications.  If leaving this unchanged causes you problems,
> then I won't object (though perhaps that 3rd "goto nomem"
> should be dealt with as well for consistency).

How do you think about the clarification approach
“Reconsidering kfree() calls for null pointers (with SmPL)”?
https://lore.kernel.org/cocci/6cbcf640-55e5-2f11-4a09-716fe681c0d2@xxxxxx/
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/cocci/2023-03/msg00096.html

Regards,
Markus