Re: [RFC 05/33] KVM: x86: hyper-v: Introduce VTL call/return prologues in hypercall page

On Fri, Dec 01, 2023, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote:
> On Fri Dec 1, 2023 at 5:47 PM UTC, Sean Christopherson wrote:

> > > I'll make it as simple as possible (diregard 32bit support and that xen
> > > exists):
> > >
> > > vmcall             <-  Offset 0, regular Hyper-V hypercalls enter here
> > > ret
> > > mov rax,rcx  <-  VTL call hypercall enters here
> >
> > I'm missing who/what defines "here" though.  What generates the CALL that points
> > at this exact offset?  If the exact offset is dictated in the TLFS, then aren't
> > we screwed with the whole Xen quirk, which inserts 5 bytes before that first VMCALL?
>
> Yes, sorry, I should've included some more context.
>
> Here's a rundown (from memory) of how the first VTL call happens:
>  - CPU0 start running at VTL0.
>  - Hyper-V enables VTL1 on the partition.
>  - Hyper-V enabled VTL1 on CPU0, but doesn't yet switch to it. It passes
>    the initial VTL1 CPU state alongside the enablement hypercall
>    arguments.
>  - Hyper-V sets the Hypercall page overlay address through
>    HV_X64_MSR_HYPERCALL. KVM fills it.
>  - Hyper-V gets the VTL-call and VTL-return offset into the hypercall
>    page using the VP Register HvRegisterVsmCodePageOffsets (VP register
>    handling is in user-space).

Ah, so the guest sets the offsets by "writing" HvRegisterVsmCodePageOffsets via
a HvSetVpRegisters() hypercall.

I don't see a sane way to handle this in KVM if userspace handles HvSetVpRegisters().
E.g. if the guest requests offsets that don't leave enough room for KVM to shove
in its data, then presumably userspace needs to reject HvSetVpRegisters().  But
that requires userspace to know exactly how many bytes KVM is going to write at
each offsets.

My vote is to have userspace do all the patching.  IIUC, all of this is going to
be mutually exclusive with kvm_xen_hypercall_enabled(), i.e. userspace doesn't
need to worry about setting RAX[31].  At that point, it's just VMCALL versus
VMMCALL, and userspace is more than capable of identifying whether its running
on Intel or AMD.