Re: [RFC 0/33] KVM: x86: hyperv: Introduce VSM support

On Wed Nov 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM UTC, Alexander Graf wrote:
> Hey Nicolas,

[...]

> > The series is accompanied by two repositories:
> >   - A PoC QEMU implementation of VSM [3].
> >   - VSM kvm-unit-tests [4].
> >
> > Note that this isn't a full VSM implementation. For now it only supports
> > 2 VTLs, and only runs on uniprocessor guests. It is capable of booting
> > Windows Sever 2016/2019, but is unstable during runtime.
>
> How much of these limitations are inherent in the current set of
> patches? What is missing to go beyond 2 VTLs and into SMP land? Anything
> that will require API changes?

The main KVM concepts introduced by this series are ready to deal with
any number of VTLs (APIC ID groups, VTL KVM device).

KVM_HV_GET_VSM_STATE should provide a copy of 'vsm_code_page_offsets'
per-VTL, since the hypercall page is partition wide but per-VTL.
Attaching that information as a VTL KVM device attribute fits that
requirement nicely. I'd prefer going that way especially if the VTL KVM
device has a decent reception. Also, the secure memory intecepts and
HVCALL_TRANSLATE_VIRTUAL_ADDRESS take some VTL related shortcuts, but
those are going away. Otherwise, I don't see any necessary in-kernel
changes.

When virtualizing Windows with VSM I've never seen usages that go beyond
VTL1. So enabling VTL > 1 will be mostly a kvm-unit-tests effort. As for
SMP, it just a matter of work. Notably HvStartVirtualProcessor and
HvGetVpIndexFromApicId need to be implemented, and making sure the QEMU
VTL scheduling code holds up.

Nicolas