RE: hv_balloon: Only works in ubuntu

From: Florian M?ller <max06.net@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 1:53 AM

> Please do not forget about this: (emoji-pointing-up)

Hmmm.  Right off the bat, I don't know how to fix this.  Hyper-V tells the
guest "Here is more memory".  The hv_balloon driver adds the memory
(but doesn't mark it "online"), and sends a positive ACK to Hyper-V.
>From Hyper-V's standpoint, it has successfully given the memory to the
guest. But if the guest hasn't onlined the memory and isn't using it, the
guest continues to report high memory pressure.  Hyper-V assigns yet
more memory to the guest, still to no effect.  Having the hv_balloon
driver delay the ACK until the memory comes online is fraught with
problems, and of course Hyper-V has no visibility into whether the guest
has onlined the memory.

This may be one where the guest configuration really must be
correct.   But I'm open to other suggestions for a possible solution.

Michael