Re: [BUG] hp-wmi-sensors: probe of 8F1F6435-9F42-42C8-BADC-0E9424F20C9A failed with error -22

On 10/31/23 12:07, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:

[ ... ]

For what it's worth, I personally don't see much value in doing much
more than a machine-limited workaround for now. To me it's clear that
this UTF-16 corner case is a BIOS bug and its consequences are minimal
once a workaround is in place.

Thoughts?

I am no expert regarding x86 platforms and I don't know how often bugs
like this happen and if making it more generic makes sens. Maybe.

That really depends on the system vendor, less on the CPU architecture.

My solution would be to add a module option, let's name it `quirks` and
make it a bit field for future use, that enables the workaound. Plus an
additional error message when probe fails to suggest user to add the
option to kernel command line or whatever file that contains module
options. A nice touch would be to detect if the workaround is still
required.

Please no module option. Use DMI data or similar.

Guenter