Re: contributing to nct6683.c/NCT6687D support

On 10/24/23 05:12, Jason Forbes wrote:
Hi Geunter,

I am interested in contributing to hwmon/nct6683.c by extending support for the NCT6687D chip. Since rudimentary support for it already exists in the module, I thought you might have its implementer's documentation on hand. Are you able to send me that documentation, or if not let me know where I can find it?

Specifically, I would like to add PWM controls.

I did not add support for this chip myself, and I do not have chip
documentation, sorry. You will have to ask Nuvoton.

Note that the chip is really an embedded controller. The firmware
on the chip may not be from Nuvoton and be vendor specific.
That is why the driver not only checks for the chip ID but also
the customer ID. This also means that having the chip datasheet
won't help much; you will need the firmware documentation for
the target board. In my experience, that is all but impossible to get
due to NDAs between Nuvoton and its customers.

Since chip programming is customer specific, any enhancement from
your side must be customer specific, i.e., only apply to the
chip ID _and_ customer ID of the target board.

Please refrain from sending Linux kernel subsystem related e-mail
without copying the mailing list.

Guenter