Re: Fwd: Regarding pmbus_core.c

Pankaj,

On 8/30/23 02:28, Pankaj Pandey wrote:
Hi Guenter,

Thanks for the pointer. Actually during bmr454 probing during kernel boots-up it
called system reset/crash. For reference please find bmr454 probing log below:

First of all, please don't top-post.

[   14.910630] pmbus 7-0010: bmr454 BMR status word : 0x2
[   14.922945] pmbus 7-0010: bmr454 BMR status cml : 0x2

Bit 1 of the CML status register suggests that there is a communication
problem. Per PMBus standard:

Bit 1 - A communication fault other than the ones listed in this table has occurred

---> Immediately after above bmr454 probing it reset/crash the system
and jump to u-boot.

I don't think anything _called_ system reset/crash. There is no code
in the driver that would do that.

Using debug prints I observed system got resettted after reaching to
_pmbus_write_byte  function. But
sometimes probing is fine, not observing any system reset/crash.

My best guess is that the i2c communication with the chip is unstable,
and that the write causes it to do something that causes the reset.
How it would do that - I don't know. Maybe one of the module pins is wired
to the system's reset pin (though I can not imagine why that would be
the case), or the miscommunication causes a chip reset. Either case,
maybe the problem is in the I2C bus speed. If you can, I would suggest
to lower it to 100 KHz to see if that makes a difference.

Guenter

Regards,
Pankaj Pandey