Creating a driver for MAX31827 temperature switch

Dear Kernel community,

I am developing an IIO driver for a temperature switch, which communicates through I2C at Analog Devices Inc.

When implementing the event handling for the comparator mode of the device, I faced a problem: I don't know how to differentiate the underTemp event from the overTemp event. To understand better, I suggest you check out the device's data sheet for Address map (page 12), Configuration Register Definition (page 13) and OT/UT Status Bits and ALARM Pin Behavior (page 15) - https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/MAX31827-MAX31829.pdf

I had the idea to make 2 channels with the exact same attributes, but with different indexes, so that I can store the overTemp related events on channel 0 and underTemp related events on channel 1. Even so, I don't really feel like this is the right solution. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Also, I was suggested that I convert my driver from IIO to HWMON. Do you think that this is needed?

Yours faithfully,
Daniel Matyas