Re: Issue in asus_ec_sensors in Fedora installations and other distributions

On 9/4/22 06:19, Eugene Shalygin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sept 2022 at 01:47, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A driver with a probe function can be unloaded and reloaded manually.
I don't see how you can do that if the functions are marked __init
and the driver is built into the kernel.

Did that and a user tested those changes. Unfortunately, the ACPI EC
is still inoperational if a module uses the ACPI id of the EC device
and its probe function returns an error. Looks like I have to change
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE completely.

If you insist on the __probe name hack, please add a note to the code
explaining why that name is necessary. There is only one single driver
besides this using that trick (I'd call it hack), hardly anyone will
know about it, and thus it needs to be explained in the driver to
prevent that the structure is renamed.

Having said that, how did you de-instantiate the device when it was
built into the kernel ?

Thanks,
Guenter