AS621x driver

The AS621x is a digital temperature sensor chip with an I2C interface. It has applications in electronic equipment, personal computers, wearables, and HVAC. The datasheet can be found here: https://ams.com/documents/20143/36005/AS621x_DS000677_4-00.pdf

I wish to write a driver for this device and contribute it to the kernel, as my first module. It being my first module, I wanted to make sure that this was a worthy use of everyone's time and that it could be useful at some point. Sparkfun provides a convenient breakout board already, which is the one that I will be using.

After searching through the mailing list archive, I found a set of patches from 2016 for the AS6200 as part of the iio subsystem. For reasons I could not find, the driver never got merged. I guess the original developers moved on to something else. Additionally, they were discussing towards the end how the hwmon subsystem may have been a better fit for the driver. Therefore, I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on writing this driver before I get started on it. From what I can tell, it does not seem much more complex than some other temperature sensor drivers in the kernel, such as the tmp102.

Regards,
Joe Strauss