Re: corsair-cpro and hidraw

On 18.06.21 at 07:45:00 CEST, Wilken Gottwalt wrote
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 05:56:29 +0600
> Aleksandr Mezin <mezin.alexander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've looked through corsair-psu sources, and I think filtering in
> > raw_event won't be enough.
> >
> > For example, in corsairpsu_request, there are 2 commands, and they
> > should be executed consecutively:
> > 1) corsairpsu_usb_cmd(priv, 2, PSU_CMD_SELECT_RAIL, rail, NULL);
> > 2) corsairpsu_usb_cmd(priv, 3, cmd, 0, data);
> >
> > If the userspace will squeeze another PSU_CMD_SELECT_RAIL between (1)
> > and (2), the driver will get data for a wrong rail (and with the
> > current code won't even notice it).
> >
> > So unless there is a way to "lock" hidraw (and it seems that there
> > isn't - looking at the code, hidraw calls the low-level hid driver
> > directly, as far as I understand), it won't work correctly.
> >
> > And if a driver can't work correctly with hidraw enabled - maybe it
> > shouldn't enable hidraw? So that the user can 1) notice that something
> > is wrong 2) blacklist or unbind the driver (or userspace tools that
> > use hidraw can unbind automatically). Otherwise everything seems to be
> > silently broken.
> >
> > On the other hand, maybe races between the kernel driver and userspace
> > tools are unlikely, because the driver doesn't talk to the device
> > continuously - only when sysfs reads happen.
>
> I never noticed any issues of that kind. I actually did quite a lot of
> userspace testing. A result of this a userspace tool you can find here:
> https://github.com/wgottwalt/corsair-psu/tree/main/tools/rmi-hxi-query
>
> Though, if you find a way to trigger such a race condition I have no
> problem to remove the hidraw part.
>
> greetings
> Will

It is possible. Making a userspace tool with just a loop of read/writes
will get you wrong readings in the driver sometimes.
Removing hidraw from the drivers is not a solution, because there are
many userspace tools for these devices and it should be an expected use case
to have them running at the same time (eg OpenRGB for rgb)

I think the correct solution would be to lock hidraw while the
drivers are doing requests.
After a (short) look:
Introducing a mutex in the hidraw struct which would be locked in
hidraw_ioctl and could also be locked in the corsair-psu and
corsair-cpro drivers could be a solution.
If there are no objections or better suggestions, I will try this
over the weekend.

Greetings
Marius

Added Jiri Kosina for hidraw to Cc: