Re: hwmon (nct6775): Please fix Invalid temperature source error for NCT6798D

On 7/3/20 9:03 AM, Stefan Dietrich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> with my Asus Formula XII Z490 and 5.7.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 I'm getting
> the following error messages during boot:
>
> nct6775: Found NCT6798D or compatible chip at 0x2e:0x290
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 0, source
> register 0x100, temp register 0x73
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 1, source
> register 0x200, temp register 0x75
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 2, source
> register 0x300, temp register 0x77
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 3, source
> register 0x800, temp register 0x79
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 4, source
> register 0x900, temp register 0x7b
> nct6775 nct6775.656: Invalid temperature source 28 at index 5, source
> register 0xa00, temp register 0x7d

There is nothing much if anything we can do about that. The NCT6798D
datasheet reports temperature source 28 as reserved. You could ask
Asus for support, but their usual response is that they don't support
Linux.

> During sensors-detect, most of the standard temperature, voltage and
> rpm sources are recognized, however, some of the values, particularly
> voltages, are off quite a bit. In addition, output of additional

Voltages need to be scaled. Scaling factors are mainboard specific and
would have to be determined by comparing BIOS reported voltages with
raw voltages (board vendors usually don't provide the information).
Scaling factors can then be entered into /etc/sensors3.conf.

> temperature sensors (via headers on the mainboard) which are reported
> fine in BIOS, are missing.

Again, this is mainboard specific. We don't know how the hardware reports
those values. Only ASUS could provide the necessary information.
Unfortunately, as mentioned above, they are not exactly known to be
Linux friendly.

Guenter