Re: kernel 5.4.6 + Ryzen 3700X: "Can't display frequency and others of Ryzen7 3700X"

On 12/23/19 6:46 PM, PGNet Dev wrote:
I'm running linux kernel 5.4.6-24.ge5f8301-default on an AMD Ryzen 3700X cpu.

I'm seeing very limited lm_sensors output.

I've posted my recent detail to an existing, but closed (?), lm_sensors issue,

	Can't display frequency and others of Ryzen7 3700X. #187
	https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors/issues/187#issuecomment-568630737

The "sensors" command, or libsensors, or hardware monitoring in the Linux kernel
in general, does not support, did never support, and will never support displaying
CPU frequencies.

Displaying fan speeds, supply voltages, and system temperatures other than
the CPU temperature has nothing to do with the CPU installed in a system.
It depends on support for the Super IO chip used on the motherboard, which
may or may not be supported by the Linux kernel. If it is not supported,
it is quite likely that the motherboard vendor does not support Linux and
refuses to make the necessary information available for Linux kernel developers.

In the specific issue referenced above, it appears that a Nuvoton NCT6796D
was detected but not instantiated. Most likely the problem is that the IO address
range necessary to access the chip is reserved by the BIOS. Looking into the
kernel log would reveal that information. Again, that has nothing to do with
support for the CPU installed on the board, but with the board vendor and,
to a substantial degree, the lack of support for Linux by that board vendor.

I note some recent work in kernel logs,

	https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.4

particularly by Marcel Bocu.

b4 (re)opening any new tickets, etc, checking-in here first.

*IS* the kernel support for Zen2 Ryzen 3700X incomplete, as yet?

And, *should* sensors output for Zen arch be full/complete?

If you think something is missing that should be displayed by k10temp,
if you have documentation from AMD describing the necessary registers to
obtain this information, and if you have permission from AMD to publish
it, please feel free to submit a patch adding it to the k10temp driver.
Please make sure that the additional information follows the hardware
monitoring ABI (specifically, CPU frequencies are not part of that ABI).

Thanks,
Guenter