Re: [RFC] hwmon: add support for IT8686E to it87.c

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/29/19 6:11 PM, Corey Ashford wrote:
> > Hello folks.  I am running a newly-built system that uses an IT8686E
> > chip.  Currently, the latest kernel from kernel.org doesn't have code
> > in drivers/hwmon/it87.c to support it, however, I found some source on
> > the net which has added support for quite a few more variants of that
> > brand of Super I/O chip:
> > https://github.com/xdarklight/hwmon-it87/blob/master/it87.c
> > I tried it out by building the module and "insmod"ing it into my
> > running system, and it appears to work fine.
> >
> > It seems the original developer had a difficult time pushing the
> > changes upstream, so he abandoned the project.
> >

> I abandoned the project (and dropped the driver from my github page)
> because people started _demanding_ that I push the driver from github
> upstream, without offering any assistance whatsoever.
>
> > My thought was that I could add support for just the IT8686E chip as a
> > single patch, and since I can test it locally I would have a better
> > chance of getting the patch accepted.  The changes to the source at
> > the above git tree have quite a number of changes that aren't really
> > necessary for supporting the IT8686E chip, so I think the patch could
> > be pretty small, but will still credit the original author.
> >

> IT8686 is a multi-page chip, meaning you'll need the entire protection
> against multi-page accesses by the EC in the system. It also supports
> the new temperature map. I don't think it is that simple.
>
> Guenter

Thanks for the quick reply!

When you said they didn't offer any assistance, do you mean assistance
with testing?  If so, how about if the support is trimmed out for the
newly-added chips that have no available test system volunteers, and
then slowly add those back as people make test systems and testing
time available.  Should I presume that you have access to one or more
systems with the added ITnnnn chips?  I volunteer my system for
testing the IT8686E support.

- Corey