Re: query for hwmon: (mlxreg-fan) patch

On 2/18/19 12:07 PM, Vadim Pasternak wrote:
Hi Guenter,

I would like to ask you about the way of sending the patch for
drivers/hwmon/mlxreg-fan.c.

This patch makes use of new "capability" register, but required commit
"platform_data/mlxreg: Add capability field to core platform data"
from platform for-next branch:
http://git.infradead.org/linux-platform-drivers-x86.git/blobdiff/9b28aa1d0eae1be1016c8f4ba504545caff01da3..946e4e02b11889cb161b15ff4712a8ba21a50eb6:/include/linux/platform_data/mlxreg.h

Is it possibly to send a patch with such dependency? Or I should wait until
"platform_data/mlxreg: Add capability field to core platform data" is got
to upstream?

A single series submitted through one maintainer, with acks from all
the other maintainers, is always the easiest. Otherwise one maintainer
would have to create an immmutable branch with the essential patch(es)
needed by all the others. Or, yes, you could wait for the infrastructure
to be in place.

Makes me wonder, though: If you are open to doing that, why the complex,
confusing, and risky mlxreg_wdt_check_watchdog_type() in the watchdog
driver (instead of providing a means for the driver to get the HW version
directly from the parent) ?

Guenter